If you or a loved one has a balance problem, finding the right pair of shoes is no easy matter. There are so many choices from different brands and materials that it can be difficult to tell which will have the most impact on your stability.
The fact is that one in four seniors is affected by a disorder, which results in falls and injuries. To mitigate this issue for the elderly with balance problems, it is important to look at the appropriate type of shoes before having them try on a pair. The shoes you buy should be wide enough for the elderly to place their foot in, but not so wide that they slip off. Also, the shoes should be comfortable and lightweight.
What is the Ideal Footwear to Prevent Falls?
Usually, shoes with a regular or low heel are recommended for seniors since higher heels may lead to issues with balance and posture.
The most advisable choice is a flat shoe with slip resistant soles, however, it should fit properly in order to ensure proper ankle support. Firm, slip-resistant soles will protect your feet from slipping and provide a firm platform to prevent falls.
In this post, we’ll talk about what to look for in senior shoes — we’ve also compiled this list of the 15 best shoes for seniors with balance problems. We hope it helps!
Shoes for Elderly Men
1. SKECHERS Men’s GO-WALK 5 Wistful Walking Shoe
The SKECHERS GOWALK 5 is designed to deliver everything from comfort to support. Made for men with a soft collar and tongue that feels great, with breathable mesh fabric panels at toe, sides and heel for ventilation.
Lightweight and responsive underfoot cushioning will keep you comfortable through every step while the durable synthetic straps provide an adjustable fit. The synthetic overlay panels on the heel, ankle and tongue help to provide support, while the top pull-on tab helps to make getting your shoes on and off easier.
The breathable insole provides added comfort as well as the high-rebound cushioning underfoot. The dual-density outsole maintains grip for confident footing while you walk. For comfort from performance to casual occasions wear them indoors, around the house, to and from work, business, for travel or even while driving. This shoe is a valuable addition to your closet.
2. MEJORMEN Men’s Edema Wide Width Shoes
MEJORMEN shoes are created specifically for walking and provide the ideal balance for people living with balance problems. The shoes boast an anatomical arch support that’s ergonomic, and an advanced orthotic cushion insole that’s specifically designed to fit your foot as well as a breathable mesh fabric covering the upper and soles.
The shoe also features a slip-on design and foot-hugging material which makes these shoes very comfortable. They keep you safe with their non-slip design. They have a breathable mesh insole, anti-skid sole and removable insole. MEJORMEN shoes are available in various colors.
The shoes are available in four designs which are designed for summer or winter use. The wide strap design is suitable for spring and summer, which features a plush tongue, soft lining around the ankle area, a plush loop at the top of the shoe for easy slip-on and a pair of removable insoles. The plush wide strap and plush long strap is also available in a winter version.
3. DR. SCHOLL’S Men’s Brisk Light Weight Dual Strap Sneaker
The DR. SCHOLL’S shoes are good for men who are looking for casual shoes with specific medical needs. With the proper care, these shoes will last you a long time. Features include:
- This type of shoe will not fray easily – the man-made upper is strong and durable despite being breathable.
- For those experiencing balance problems, mobility limitations, or arthritis this shoe is offered for elderly men. DR. SCHOLL’S walking shoes have an air-pillow gel insole for support, comfort, and shock absorption.
- The memory foam is comfortable with a padded collar and tongue, as well as a padded footbed for extra support.
- The shoes are designed with a dual strap closure for easy on/off convenience.
- The leather sole provides durability while the mesh material ensures breathability.
- The faux leather upper looks clean and professional and the stitching detail gives the shoes a refined look.
4. SKECHERS Men’s GO-MAX Athletic Air Mesh Slip on Walking Shoe
SKECHERS GO-MAX shoes are a new type of shoe designed specifically for the elderly. The lightweight mesh fabric upper is breathable and provides a secure, slip-on grip for an easier on and off experience. Lightweight mesh fabric toe and heel panels provide ventilation.
These shoes provide tremendous support and cushioning while helping users to maintain their balance. This is especially important for seniors.
SKECHERS GO-MAX shoes are specifically designed with elderly people in mind. The toe and heel panels are made from a mesh fabric to increase breathability. They include a 5GEN insole which is a rubber insole for extra shock absorption. If you want the most cushioning possible, then choose the Goga Max insole which also has memory retention technology that allows it to mold to your foot.
5. PROPÉT Men’s Stability X Strap Sneaker
PROPÉT Stability X Strap Sneakers are perfect for those with balance problems or those recovering from surgery or injury, as they provide stability and traction to help improve posture and maintain an upright position. These sneakers have been customized to offer comfort, stability and high performance. The hook and loop strap closure allows for easy adjustment to help the wearer find the right fit.
The soft, breathable mesh will ensure your loved one’s feet stay cool and comfortable. The removable can accommodate custom orthotics to meet your loved one’s unique needs and preferences. Patients with diabetes or oedema of the feet may also benefit from using custom orthotics in their footwear.
By using a special EV (Extra Volume) insole system, the PROPÉT Stability X Strap Sneaker provides excellent shock absorption to improve posture and balance while walking. The EV insole system has been designed to support the foot with an arch support that is made from a specially designed anti-impact material that can easily be removed when it’s time for a new pair of insoles. Custom-molded insoles are made from polyurethane, which can be easily cut down to size by a podiatrist if necessary.
6. NUNN BUSH Men’s Cam Strap Casual Loafer Slip On
- Designed with long-lasting comfort in mind, this shoe features a padded tongue and collar, and a memory foam footbed that contours to the shape of your foot.
- This classic style is made out of rich tumbled leather that will provide long-lasting durability.
- They are lightweight and flexible.
- With breathable fabrics, the shoes also dry quickly and stay comfortable during hot weather.
- The outsole is made from lightweight EVA rubber, which allows you to move more comfortably and flex naturally when walking.
- They feature a velcro closure across the top of the shoe.
- They have a hook and loop closure, so are easy to slip on or off.
- The tongue has a soft-grip fabric lining, while the collar is made of memory foam and adjusts to fit your foot perfectly.
- Nunn Bush Shoes for Men also come with a padded foot bed that provides added comfort and flexibility.
- These shoes are available in medium width, wide width and extra wide widths.
7. NEW BALANCE 928 V3 Men’s Walking Shoe
The NEW BALANCE 928 V3 comes with a soft comfort collar and supportive cushioning. The hook-and-loop closure makes them quick and easy to adjust.
A motion control midsole has also been added for more support on level or uneven terrain to keep you stabilized throughout your walk. A thick rubber outsole provides excellent traction to keep you steady, while the classic leather upper ensures long-lasting durability. For all-around walking, nothing beats this classic men’s walking shoe.
The upgraded version of the 928 gives you a bit more cushioning for a comfortable heel offload, as well as a higher quality upper that looks and feels great. A removable polyurethane footbed has been added that is more lightweight and provides better arch support throughout your walks. The midsole of this shoe has been upgraded to give you a softer heel offload when walking which helps reduce pressure build up in your heel over time. New Balance added additional padding in the heel cup to provide even more cushioning in the transition from heel-strike to toe-off.
8. DREW SHOE Men’s Force Athletic Walking Shoe
DREW SHOES are for elderly people who struggle with balance and stability. They’re designed with a built-in heel cushion pad and soft steps for comfort and durability. They’re made of synthetic materials and feature a rubber outsole that is resistant to wear and tear. The leather upper is designed to have a buff or polish to improve the look of the shoe.
They are lightweight and easy to put on. They’re made with a polyurethane insole. This shoe is designed for those who wear them recreationally as well as for everyday use. The insole is made of polyurethane with Drilex which is a material that prevents odors and reduces perspiration.
This is the perfect combination of style, lightweight performance, and comfort. These are shoes that are designed with a tri-support insole, a comfortable stride, and buffable leather for easy maintenance. Hook-and-loop closure means these shoes are easy to put on or remove when you want to get in or out of them quickly.
Shoes for Elderly Women
9. NEW BALANCE 813 V1 Women’s Hook and Loop Walking Shoe
- They have a 13 mm drop, which is considered an ideal drop height if you’ve got balance problems. This means that when the heel of your shoe comes close to touching the ground, it will be about 6 inches high. The 6-inch height difference between toe and heel makes for a delicately balanced gait, with less stress on feet and ankles.
- The leather upper is soft and supple and will offer you maximum comfort.
- The fit is really what makes this shoe stand out, and there are no laces to tie or untie.
- The foam-padded collar molds to your arch.
- The New Balance 813 V1 has a supportive cushioning sole to add to overall comfort.
- The softness and pressure relief of the padded collar works in harmony with the cushioning sole. Your feet will be cushioned from heel strike to toe-off.
- You’ll enjoy a unique level of shock absorption and recoil because of the outsole design.
- The flexible forefoot rocker design is specifically engineered for a natural stride that will relieve pain, balance problems or foot fatigue when you’re on your feet all day long.
10. REEBOK JAG96 Women’s Work N Cushion Walking Shoe
The REEBOK JAG96 shoe solves the balance problem of elderly women with its sole designed to greatly improve walking ability while being pleasing to the eye at the same time. With modern styling in leather or synthetic upper, this shoe is very attractive but also very functional. The toe box has been made wider for a better fit which makes it more comfortable. With an oil-resistant, anti-slip rubber outsole, this shoe is made to last.
This shoe’s main function is to support your stride from heel to toe, but it also has a responsive feel and cushioning that will leave the wearer feeling great. It has MemoryTech foam that molds to the foot with wear and retains its shape for the life of the shoe. The midsole provides a responsive feel and cushioning while absorbing shock.
With a bevelled heel, this shoe has an enhanced walking stride which allows for more efficient movement. This shoe can be adjusted through its hook-and-loop closure on the strap for added convenience. This modern walking shoe with an improved walking stride is recommended for the elderly who need extra support.
11. SKECHERS GO-WALK-2 Women’s Slip-On Walking Shoe
SKECHERS GO-WALK-2 shoes address the needs of the active senior by providing an easy, comfortable slip-on style, and breathable mesh uppers to keep feet at a healthy temperature all day, with cushioning for comfort. That’s why it offers ortholite footbeds to help fight odor and bacteria that can cause discomfort.
The heel loop is made of fabric and the sole has a resalyte treatment. This line of slip-on shoes is for women with balance problems who want to keep their feet healthy and comfortable all day, but who also enjoy fashion.
This line incorporates a mesh upper combined with a lightweight, single sole. These lightweight shoes are breathable and comfortable to wear. The GO-WALK line of shoes has a heel-pull loop. Fashionable, functional, and easy to wear – that’s what you can expect from SKECHERS.
12. PROPÉT Women’s Stability X Strap Sneaker
The PROPÉT shoes are made for women to help with balance issues and have built-in cushioning ridges. Some of their features are:
- A removable footbed that can accommodate custom orthotics from your podiatrist.
- The shaft measures approximately low-top from the arch. The fabric is a synthetic man-made material. The mesh upper is soft and comfortable to wear.
- It comes with a brushed nylon lining that feels great inside the shoe.
- The tongue and collar are padded to make them comfortable.
- They also come with a double insole system that is extra thick as well as a gel heel pad to make walking more comfortable.
- This shoe has an EV (extra volume) insole system which provides additional padding and comfort.
- It has a hook and loop strap closure which allows you to adjust the shoes easily.
- The slip-resistant outsole is made from a TPR material to prevent slipping on a wet surface.
13. PROPÉT Women’s Tour Walker Strap Sneaker
This PROPÉT Strap Sneaker is the perfect shoe combination – a full-grain leather upper, twin-strap closure system, cushioned EVA midsole, herringbone tread rubber outsole, and easy to keep clean and durable. This shoe will provide maximum comfort all day long. It can be easily adjusted to accommodate custom orthotics, while also being available in five widths – narrow to XX.
PROPÉT creates the best footwear for elderly people that modern technology can produce. The shoes are designed for those with balance problems – from the specially shaped toe box to the integrated cane tip. The shoes are available in Black Taupe, White/Berry, White/Blue, Sport White, and White.
The innovative technology used in the construction of the interior of shoes is designed to keep feet as comfortable as possible. The materials used for making shoes are carefully selected and tested to ensure maximum comfort and durability. In addition to being comfortable, they are also easy to keep clean – simply wipe them off with a damp cloth.
14. LEADER SHOW Women’s Elderly Casual Comfort Walking Shoe
The LEADER SHOW is one of the best slip-on type shoes that can help those with balance problems such as elderly women and those recovering from an injury, as well as those who have difficulty tying shoelaces. Its unique Velcro strap makes it easy to take on and off and the rubber sole provides more traction on slippery surfaces, while the wide opening makes it easy to put on and take off. And the brightly fluorescent strap helps increase visibility in low-light conditions.
These shoes are made of a high-quality material that has a breathable mesh upper and soft padded heel for comfort. The lightweight body is flexible enough to easily slip it on and off while the outsole makes walking smooth and efficient. The soft inside lining inside the shoes keeps the feet feeling comfortable.
Rubber soles give the shoes more traction on slippery surfaces, so there is less risk of falls. It also absorbs shock for daily use or any other form of exercise or jogging. It also provides a smooth and secure fit every time. It comes in a variety of colors. It is suitable for indoor use, daily casual walking, jogging or working out.
15. AVIA AVI-UNION II Velcro Non Slip Shoes for Women
- The shoes have thick rubber soles which make walking easier if you have a balance problem.
- These shoes are 100% man-made, both the upper part and the lining inside. This shoe has a thick leather exterior that is oil and slip-resistant, but not water-resistant.
- Its interior is a soft foam that cushions your feet, with shock absorption and an EVA midsole.
- This shoe has an adjustable Velcro hook and loop closure with different length settings to make sure they fit your feet properly.
- They have a removable memory foam sock liner that provides an anatomic fit for ankles, heels and arches.
- The cradling feature facilitates balance and helps your feet maintain their natural arch.
- It also comes with an anatomical heel cradle for ankle support and shock absorption to help relieve foot pains.