A wheelchair carrier is an attachment made specifically to transport wheelchairs or mobility devices in SUVs. Carriers are mounted at the back of the car and have tie-down straps underneath the vehicle securing it in place.
Wheelchair carriers are designed for people who need the convenience of being able to bring their wheelchairs into or out of their vehicles. If you are in the market for a wheelchair carrier, you’ll want to take into account your individual needs to find the best option.
To help you choose the best option we’ve put together the best 15 wheelchair carriers that you should consider when shopping for a carrier.
1. MAXXHAUL 80779 Aluminum Hitch Mount Cargo Carrier
The MAXXHAUL is designed for use on all 2″ x 2″ class III and IV hitches, including pickups, SUVs and vans. It’s made of high-grade steel with a durable powder-coat finish that won’t rust or corrode. It has high side railings to keep property safely inside during transit.
This wheelchair carrier offers greater stability than traditional hitch mounted carriers because of its built-through design that delivers a large footprint to the rear axle. The rear-mounted platform makes loading and unloading your cargo easy. The ramp of this carrier does not fold down.
The carrier has a maximum weight capacity of 500 lbs. The platform measures 47″ x 27-3/4″ x 7-1/2″, and the carrier itself measures 50″ long x 29.5″ wide x 7.5″ high. The unit can carry power wheelchairs, snowmobiles or scooters.
2. AA PRODUCTS Hitch Mount Steel Cargo Carrier Basket
This AA PRODUCTS carrier is for transporting wheelchairs, scooters, and other larger items. It’s made of heavy-duty steel and has a hitch-stabilizing plate. This wheelchair carrier also has 5” high sides rails and a rack basket that measures 50” x 28.5” to give you more space.
It features a folding angled shank. An adjustable stabilizer knob and a hitch stabilizing plate are also installed on the carrier to provide more stability and security.
It measures 49.2 X 26.4 X 5.25 inches with a weight capacity of 500 lbs. This carrier can be used on 2-inch hitch receivers and is easy to assemble and install. The ramp does not fold down. It includes a built-in reflector for added safety.
3. MOCKINS Hitch Mounted Cargo Carrier with Ramp
The MOCKINS wheelchair carrier is made from heavy-duty steel and comes with an anti-rust coating. It also includes a pair of ratchet straps and a hitch stabilizer. This carrier is 48″ long, 28.5″ wide, 4.25″ tall which has plenty of room for most wheelchairs or scooters as well as other heavy-duty machinery. Features include:
- The carrier can be easily installed on most class III, class IV and class V hitches and is designed to hold the equipment firmly with weight capacities of up to 500 pounds.
- It has integrated eye bolts and also provides you with a secure tie-down.
- The ramp folds up, and it is extremely lightweight and easy to store.
- It comes with an anti-rattle hitch pin.
4. GUIDE GEAR Folding Aluminum Cargo Carrier
The GUIDE GEAR Universal Wheelchair Carrier is an easy way to transport wheelchairs. The three-position fold-down ramp allows for easier loading and unloading of the wheelchair. This product is designed for use with a vehicle’s standard 2-inch Class III or IV receiver.
The aluminum construction is rust-resistant making it ideal for all weather conditions. The hitch and hitch plate are constructed of carbon steel and match the rugged black-coated aluminum shank. Additional anti-wobble technology helps prevent side to side rocking.
The carrier features a 500 lbs load capacity, 6-inch side rails, fold-up ramp for easy loading/unloading. It’s interior dimension is 50-inch L x 30.5-inch W and external dimension 52-inch L x 32.8-inch.
5. SILVER SPRING Steel Folding Wheelchair Carrier
The SILVER SPRING carrier has three positions for the folding ramp, anti-rattle device, and a class III or IV 2” hitch receiver. It’s easy to load and unload because it has an extra-large platform; dimensions measure 48 L x 27.75 W x 3 H inches. These carriers are made from durable powder-coated steel that can hold up to 400 lbs weight capacity.
It comes with a 5/8” hitch pin and T-handle spring-pull pin for your convenience. This allows you to securely attach this wheelchair carrier to your vehicle whether it has a 2” receiver or not. It comes with a handy anti-rattle device that prevents it from tipping over, wobbling, or rattling during transport.
The ramp has 10 tie-down points for securing wheelchairs and other mobility devices. The Silver Spring ramp folds up to a compact size for easy storage. This is a sturdy wheelchair carrier that will protect your mobile device during transport and is the most durable of the options in this review.
6. LIFT N GO Electric Power Scooter or Power chair Lift / Carrier
The LIFT N GO wheelchair carrier is a lightweight and portable device compatible with most vehicles that have a class 3 hitch. It also features an extra-large platform. Some of its features are:
- A heavy-duty steel frame that provides maximum sturdiness.
- The extra-large platform has a 350 pounds weight capacity.
- The extra-wide 28″ X 48″ platform is made from a non-slip material, which guarantees a secure ride for your mobility equipment.
- The ramp has a smooth swivel joint which makes it easy to move around. Overall dimensions are 48 x 25 x 22 inches.
- This carrier features two bolted on retractable ratchets which will hold most scooters and power chairs.
- The platform has an angled design for a smoother ride when transporting heavy loads, the controls are fully powered and very simple to use.
7. KUAFU Folding Wheelchair Scooter Carrier
The KUAFU Wheelchair Carrier is made from heavy-duty steel and features a black powder-coated finish for increased durability and scratch protection. This is a versatile product. It also features a folding and unfolding design for convenient storage and travel.
It’s compact, spacious and stable. This carrier is suitable for all types of wheelchairs and features a 3-position system that allows for 3 different carrying options: “closed flat”, “open L-shape” as well as the “open flat”. The KUAFU carrier features 3-inch safety rails to prevent accidents. It has an integrated hitch receiver and is suitable for vehicles with all 2″ Receiver, hitch class III or IV.
This wheelchair carrier also has an extended ramp length that measures 38.7 inches when in the “open flat” position.
8. EGO BIKE Hitch Mounted Carrier For Wheelchair
The EGO BIKE wheelchair carrier has a heavy-duty steel construction with a black powder-coated finish. The carrier loading capacity is 400 pounds, so it’s perfect for pulling even the heaviest of items. It fits all 2″ receiver class III or IV hitch. It also features tie-down holes.
It comes with internal spring-loaded pull locks, so you can have full security when transporting even the heaviest items. When not in use, this product can be folded up. It also comes with 3 positions (closed flat, open L shape & open flat).
To make transporting a wheelchair or mobility scooter easier and safer, EGO BIKE has equipped their ramps with a safety rail. The safety rail is molded into the side of the platform and extends across the surface for a 3-inch space. It weighs only 16 lbs while offering 42″ of usable space. The platform dimensions are 28″ x 48″.
9. HARMAR Mobility AL100 Universal Scooter Lift
The HARMAR AL100 is a convenient and versatile carrier for easy operation, has 4-self-tensioning Q’Straint retractors, and an easy-to-operate wheelbase that can go up to 42 inches. This carrier also has a single switch that automatically folds the platform. Features include:
- A manual crank back-up when needed, and an automatic hold-down arm for secure lifting.
- The platform can be conveniently mounted on a swing-away joint for easy access and is available in 2 options: 16″ which fits a lift with a swing-away arm and 18″ which fits a lift without a swing-away arm.
- The 350 lbs weight capacity makes it compatible with virtually all wheelchairs.
- Its adjustable wheelbase (28”-42”) ensures that it can accommodate wheelchairs of many different sizes.
10. ECOTRIC Hitch-Mounted Carrier with Mobility Ramp
The ECOTRIC bike carrier is a hitch-mounted and basket-style carrier. Made of heavy-duty steel and features a durable black powder-coated finish. It is designed for both class III or IV 2″ hitch receivers. The ECOTRIC carrier has a 3″ safety rail for extra protection. The user-friendly instructions help to make assembly quick and simple.
This carrier can hold up to 500 lbs of weight. The ramp is designed with heavy-duty steel that is durable in all conditions. The ramp folds up against the carrier when not in use, making it easy for storage. The ramp also has a handle that allows you to easily fold and unfold. When the ramp is unfolded, it has 11 tie-down points.
The carrier has a total weight of 73 lbs and a two-position carrier (open L-shape and open flat). Its dimensions are 31-3/4″ x 44-3/4″ x 6″, and the inside bed dimensions are 29-3/4″ x 43-3/4″ x 5″.
11. FREEDOM Fully Automatic Power Chair Lift / Carrier
The Inclined Transport FREEDOM is a revolutionary, high-capacity wheelchair carrier designed to carry virtually all powered wheelchair models. This durable and reliable carrier folds automatically when empty and can carry and accommodate virtually any modern, portable power chair (including all wheelchairs), scooter or mobility device weighing up to 350 lbs.
The durable steel construction is resistant to rust, corrosion, and fading. The carrier’s manual controls are easy to operate and it has an automatic brake system. Its weight capacity ensures that you’ll be able to transport greater weights when needed without worrying about damaging your device or carrier.
This carrier is made with 4-self-tensioning Q’Straint retractors, which allow you to lift your power chair or mobility device at different heights when you need to.
12. TITAN MC500 Ramps Wheelchair Mobility Rack
TITAN MC500 is a hitch-mounted wheelchair carrier. TITAN’s MC500 folds up flat and vertically when not in use. Some of the features are:
- It also comes with a quick action spring-pull pin for easy transport.
- At 46.5″ L x 28″ width, this wheelchair carrier has a tray depth of 4 ¼”.
- The reinforcement 4.25″ side rails provide additional security.
- The carrier is constructed of anti-rust and bend-resistant durable steel.
- It has a weight capacity of up to 500 lbs.
- The carrier has a secure and secure hitch-mounted design.
- This wheelchair carrier also works with 2″ class III or IV trailer hitches.
13. ALEKO MC500 Wheelchair and Power Scooter Folding Cargo Carrier
The ALEKO MC500 custom-built wheelchair carrier is designed to fit any wheelchair/scooter. The 27.5” wide x 60” long loading ramp is ideal for easy loading of any chair or scooter with the exception of heavy, bulky power chairs that are too heavy to lift. This ramp tilts down to provide easier access. ALEKO has taken safety into account by adding anti-tilt locking devices on both sides of the ramp.
The 4-foot-high side rails make it more secure and it has 11 tie-down points.
This carrier is an affordable and quick way of transporting a wheelchair. It can carry up to 500 pounds of weight, meaning it won’t affect you or your chair when loading it on and off.
14. RAGE POWERSPORTS SC500-AF Folding Aluminum Wheelchair Carrier
The RAGE POWERSPORTS SC500-AF wheelchair carrier is perfect for anyone who needs to transport their wheelchair or scooter. The carrier features a hitch-mounted design that’s height adjustable so you can use it on any vehicle with a 2″ trailer hitch, including cars, trucks, and SUVs. It also includes a multi-level hitch adapter so you can adjust the height of your loading ramp to accommodate any vehicle’s ground clearance.
Other features include an anti-rattle device, built-in tie-down points and it folds up when not in use to save room in your garage or shed. The carrier is constructed of durable steel.
With the SC500-AF, you won’t need to lift your wheelchair or scooter into the trunk of your car or truck or rely on anyone else to move it for you. It has a built-in 42″ folding loading ramp and can support up to 400 lbs in weight.
15. TKMD Heavy Duty Strong Hitch Wheelchair Carrier
This TKMD wheelchair carrier is designed to quickly and easily transport your wheelchair, scooter or other similar items. With a weight capacity of 400 pounds, it’s got enough room for any standard power chair or scooter. Features include:
- This carrier has internal spring-loaded pull locks on both sides that allow you to open up either side of the ramp with just one hand.
- It’s also easy to fold up when not in use for convenient storage.
- This wheelchair carrier is constructed from heavy-duty steel and black powder-coated for a lifetime of reliable use.
- It has a 3″ safety rail that you can attach additional tie-down points to if desired.
- The carrier is designed to fit in a 2″ receiver hitch. This Rage Powersports model will also work with class III or IV hitches if you use an adapter bar.
- It can be locked flat against the vehicle when not in use for maximum security.
- The ramp is 42″ long when fully opened and folds back down to only 28″ for simple storage.