There are many different types of GPS trackers and watches for seniors. There are some that can be worn on the wrist like an ordinary watch but also others that can be clipped onto clothing or carried around in your pocket like a phone.
Why are GPS Trackers & Watches for The Elderly an Important Product?
Watches and GPS trackers for the elderly are becoming more and more popular on the market because seniors will benefit from these devices tremendously. These gadgets help people stay in touch with what’s going on in a loved one’s environment – such as letting them know when their elder parent has entered or exited an area, warning them of unsafe areas around them, and tracking their physical activity.
Watches and GPS trackers for senior citizens also provide peace of mind — the tracker can be kept on their wrist at all times so that they get alerts for when there’s an emergency, or have easy access to medical information.
What Kinds of Services are GPS Tracking Devices For Seniors Used For?
Seniors and elderly members of the population who are suffering from dementia are often at risk of wandering off. To protect them, you can invest in a GPS tracker to ensure they’re found as quickly as possible.
There is a lot to consider when it comes to choosing a GPS tracker for seniors. Before making any decisions, it’s wise to know what kinds of services and functions these devices offers, and how they work.
The following article will discuss not only the benefits and drawbacks of using GPS tracking devices, but also potential issues you may face.
What Kinds of Tracking Services are Available?
Most GPS trackers for seniors come with a wide range of features and services. Here’s a look at some of the functions available.
- Mobile app access to location data for phone tracking.
- Alerts through push notifications or email to alert you if your loved one has moved out of range.
- Real-time location data to check on your loved one, whether they’ve left home or not.
- Emergency assistance features that allow an alarm to be triggered by a sensor in a car or at home that calls 911 and then provides location data on the person of interest. You can choose between a text message or an email alert sent to your smartphone.
- Automatic tracking of locations to see where they have been throughout the day. This can be useful for seeing whether an elderly person is being abused, neglected, or simply lost.
Is it Legal to Track Your Ageing Parents or a Dementia Sufferer?
There has been an increase in the number of court proceedings and litigation related to the legal and ethical applications of GPS trackers since their debut onto the market. A few have dealt with the legality of police officers using these devices to monitor private persons, while others have dealt with ordinary civilians using them to follow their partners, workers and kids.
Almost a decade ago, the Supreme Court declared that a warrant is required before law enforcement may install GPS devices on someone solely based on suspicion of breaching the law. There is no federal statute that directly addresses the topic of whether a private individual may monitor another person’s car or property, although numerous states have done so. It is permissible to use a GPS tracker on a car as long as the car’s proprietor has given approval, however in Wisconsin, for example, a person might be charged with criminal offenses if they put one on another person’s vehicle. Still I woud like to make clear that this is not legal advice and you should consult your state attorney if you are unsure about your personal case.
What are the Smallest Personal Tracking Devices?
As the technology progresses the PTDs are becoming smaller and smaller. Today most personal tracking devices are the size of a small cell phone/car key fob, but actually there is no limit to how small a personal tracking device can be. This size currently in use is pretty much optimal for its purpose.
Some of the smaller ones are made by Ping that are the size of a quarter. Others are even smaller and can be disguised within clothing items, footwear and even into beautiful hairpins, watches, earrings, pendants and other jewelry. These are known as wearable trackers as they can be worn like everyday fashion items without looking like trackers. Nowadays, there are even tinier tracking devices that can be placed under the skin or inside teeth, but I will not cover those in this review.
Best GPS Trackers for Seniors Available in the Market
Not every GPS tracker is created equal. There are dozens of different models out there – it’s hard to know which one is right for your loved one. We’ve compiled a list of the 15 best GPS trackers for seniors according to design, cost, and other features.
This list should provide you with some basic information about what to look for when selecting a GPS tracker for your loved one. Hopefully this list will help make the decision-making process easier.
1. ANGELSENSE Personal GPS Tracker
The ANGELSENSE GPS tracker device is an innovative, affordable and easy to use system designed to keep track of the elderly or people with special needs such as autism and dementia. This system offers an ultimate level of comfort and peace of mind by providing the most accurate location, continuous all-day monitoring, and personalized geofence safe places, detailed location and transit history or customized alerts. It features maximum privacy and security with Government-level encryption.
This advanced GPS tracker solution has a customizable sleeve made from a durable waterproof material. When the system is activated, alerts can be sent out or received through your mobile device or computer with the help of the free iOS, Android or Windows App. It also includes a magnetic key, 3 non-removable fasteners and a travel case. The system is perfect for everyday use.
This device also features emergency search tools, an emergency location-tracking system, geographic map with pin-point accuracy, temporary live-map link for search or rescue missions, a step counter that lets you know how much activity your loved one has been doing. It requires a monthly subscription with live customer care. The dimensions of this device are 1.9” L x 3” W x 0.8” H.
The intelligent iALERTS service connects physically vulnerable people to their care providers via personalized text message alerts. With the home monitoring feature, it provides an automatic response to help safely locate missing seniors. It’s extremely light weight and durable, with a waterproof design that makes it shock proof too.
2. JIOBIT 2021 Real-Time GPS Location Tracker
JIOBIT, is 5G-compatible GPS tracker for the elderly, and is designed to make it easier for caregivers to monitor their loved ones. It performs a vital service by keeping tabs on people who might wander off. By going beyond regular tracking, and including features such as instant alerts and SOS alarms, this device is well-equipped to offer peace of mind in any situation.
It can be connected to a smartphone through Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, or a cellular network connection. It records location information from GPS and sends it back continuously. This device is capable of up to 10 days usage time per charge and also includes a SOS alarm in case there’s an emergency. It features multiple monitoring functions for maximum security that are not otherwise available with regular GPS trackers.
The geofencing feature means that it will only send location information when the user is in a defined area. This is done with geofencing which is a technology that uses GPS coordinates to track the location of users. The app provides alerts according to different criteria including but not limited to distance, speed, time, and energy level.
This GPS tracker is waterproof and features smart watch alerts. It can be clipped onto any article of clothing, including shoes, and will work secretly without the user knowing that they are being tracked. It comes with an application that is available for both iOS and Android users. The tracking information will appear in the app as well as on a website so it’s easy to see exactly where the user is at any given time.
3. TRACKI Magnetic Mini GPS Tracker
The TRACKI is an easy-to-install, self-contained compact digital GPS tracker that will give seniors their independence back. This state-of-the-art device is considered to be super small and light – only 1.26 oz! This device is completely self-contained. Features include:
- It comes with an embedded SIM card that allows you to use the GPS tracker without having to do anything.
- This cutting-edge device also allows the user to set up a geo-fence zone to be alerted via smartphone if the person wearing the device wanders outside.
- The battery lasts up to 5 days and alerts can be sent in real time when the tracker senses movement, or when the SOS button is pressed or the battery is running low.
- This device comes in a waterproof, magnetic box.
- The dimensions are 1.75” x 1.5” x 0.55”, which can easily fit into a pocket.
- This is a complete solution that gives the user the freedom to go anywhere without worrying about getting lost or being able to call for help.
- It also comes with the latest technology that allows you to track via Google street view and sends alerts instantly via your phone or email and text messaging as well, through the smartphone app .
- The device can be used anywhere in any weather conditions – whether you’re in the snow, rain, at the beach, hiking in the mountains or just going on a walk.
- The TRACKI monthly subscription plan is recommended to use the full features on this device.
With unlimited distance real time tracking, it manages the entire life-cycle of your loved one with just one simple monthly fee.
4. LANDAIRSEA 4G LTE GPS Tracker
The LANDAIRSEA GPS tracker features waterproofing that allows it to stand up to any weather conditions, a small compact design measuring 2.25” x 2.25” x 0.80” that fits in any pocket, backpack or purse; compatibility with MAC, PC and Android devices, and reporting locations periodically by text message or email alerts if the wearer travels outside of pre-set boundaries.
The device can be used in conjunction with the SilverCloud iPhone/iPad/Android App, or with free web-based software that can be accessed by any computer or mobile device, including MAC. This tracker is equipped with a built-in magnet that allows you to attach it to your loved one’s purse or backpack.
The wireless GPS device has many different features that allow you to stay connected with your loved one while they are at home or out and about. If they wander out of their safe zone, you can set an alert to be sent to your cell phone, tablet or computer. When the boundary is crossed, you will receive a text message and an email with the person’s location and a map showing where they are located.
The software allows you to view historical tracks of where the wearer has been. You can also view location information on Google Maps and even create a log of all events so you can keep track of your loved one. Additional accessories such as batteries and SIM cards are included with this product.
5. GEOZILLA GPS Location Tracker
The GEOZILLA is designed to provide security for senior citizens. The tracker can be attached discreetly to clothing or a backpack. It enables easy monitoring of seniors or their loved ones via smartphone app and/or email / text alerts. It also has an SOS button, geofence zones, app notification features, and a rechargeable battery that runs up to five days on a single charge.
The monthly fee of $19 gives you worldwide coverage. It is waterproof, lightweight at 30 grams, and small in size with dimensions of 47 mm x 41 mm x 17 mm.
The device comes with a free smartphone app for iOS or Android devices. The app is compatible with Bluetooth so users can share details. The tracker depends on the location services provided by your cell phone carriers’ networks so there are no dead zones.
The GEOZILLA GPS tracker is the perfect way to monitor your loved ones. Even when they are in an area that you don’t have full access to, you can still keep track of them. The tracking device provides custom alerts so you’ll be alerted when your loved one is in a certain area, or if it leaves an area that you’ve designated as safe.
6. INVOXIA Cellular GPS Tracker
The INVOXIA GPS tracker can be used in multiple ways to fit your loved one’s needs. When they are not at home – maybe travelling or running errands – you can use Geofencing mode to automatically receive alerts when they enter and exit the pre-defined location that you set up in the app. Some features are:
- Use Journey History mode where it will keep track of your loved one’s most recent path and send notifications when they go out of bounds.
- If there is an emergency, the most important feature of this device is the one-button SOS button. With this, your loved one can call with just one button push. If they fall or need help, just press this single button.
- Track the location of your loved one with their last updated latitude and longitude, speed, elevation, and direction.
- It has a motion sensor that you can use to alert you when it detects any movement.
- And with automatic low battery alert notifications, you will never have to worry about your loved ones’ GPS tracker not working because of a dead battery.
- The live customer support is available 24/7.
- Automatic anti-theft notifications will also let you know if the GPS tracker ever moves out of the location that you set it up at.
- You can even set geo-fences to receive automatic alerts when your loved passes these boundaries.
- This device comes with a free two year subscription.
7. SPY TEC GL300 Real-Time GPS Tracker
The SPY TEC GL300 is a GPS tracker for elderly people, designed to save lives. The fastest GPS tracking you will find, it has the ability to track your loved ones live on a map using 4G satellite technology. This device also uses iOS/Android apps to show you their whereabouts or create custom alerts and boundaries.
It uses GPS/GSM technology to track its users’ movement, get notifications when they leave or get lost, or get alerts when they are approaching dangerous locations. It is weatherproof and water resistant. All information is stored on the Icloud, so there is no need to worry about losing your loved one’s location.
This device is housed in a waterproof magnetic case with an embedded sensor board. It uses a strong magnet to attach to objects such as clothing, bags, and keys. The sensor board itself is protected and is also dirt proof and shockproof.
The SPY TEC GL300 features a 0.256 millisecond processing time and uses 4G technology to connect to the fastest satellite network available in your area. There is no need for cellular service, the device relies on its own SIM card and GPS/GSM technology to transmit information about its user’s locations. It can track anywhere in the world, even in remote locations where there is no cellular service available.
8. HANGANG TK1000 Personal GPS Tracker
The HANGANG GPS tracker for the elderly is a device that combines a GPS tracker, with a location-based notifier, which can be used to track their movements. The device has a built-in 1000mAh battery and is small enough at 2″ x 2″ to fit into your pocket. It also has geo-fencing support.
The Tracker app can be downloaded on Android or iOS devices. It works without any monthly fees or subscriptions. This tracker can be used for locating any member of your family. The device is waterproof and compact, with a rubberized case that protects it against water and is shock-proof. The Google direction feature is also included in the device, which uses the mobile phone’s internet connection to detect where your loved one is located.
The SOS button in the device can be pressed in case of trouble. When activated, it will send an SMS to your phone number and other family members, along with their locations via Google maps. The SOS button is linked with a traditional landline telephone.
The device can geo-fence a specific area, and when the user leave the area, a notification will be sent to your mobile phone. If you have a Google account then this app can link your HANGANG to it. Geo-fence is a virtual barrier that is drawn around an address or geographical location. When someone leaves that area you are automatically notified from anywhere in the world.
9. HANDSFREE Health Smart Watch
The HANDSFREE GPS watch is a great way for your loved ones to stay safe and still remain independent. This watch is fully functional in all environments—it doesn’t matter if it’s raining or snowing outside—and has a broad range of functions that alert family and caregivers when your loved one needs assistance. Features include:
- This watch shows GPS coordinates, activity levels, and location alerts in real time on an iOS or Android phone.
- It receives notifications when the GPS signal is lost and provides access to a calendar .
- It also generates reminders of upcoming medical visits and activities that need to be completed, helping the wearer stay informed.
- The device features a number of options that help the elderly maintain their independence. It has a built-in pedometer, which can provide early warning of mobility problems such as falling or wandering.
- It also has 4G LTE capabilities and a built-in emergency button that seniors can press to instantly contact their caregivers when they need help.
- The device is waterproof and fully functional when wet.
- It provides access to personal information such as contact lists and calendars, and it automatically recognizes and adjusts time zones when traveling.
- The watch comes with a charger for quick and easy charging. The battery is rechargeable with a USB charger or by plugging it into an electrical outlet.
10. BEACON PET Elderly GPS Smart Watch
The BEACON PET watch combines the technology of GPS, LBS, and WIFI positioning to accurately monitor the position of older adults. Various functions such as step-counting and exercise alarm are embedded in it as well as a heart rate detection function. It features a 1.3″ screen and uses touchscreen technology.
The device can send alerts to remind users that they have been sitting too long, and it has an SOS function which will call an emergency contact when the wearer falls down. When connected with Alipay and other finance management tools, it can automatically retrieve and synchronize data for retirement fund income and expenditure records.
This watch has additional functions such as geo-fencing and a music-play function which lasts up to 6 hours .
The BEACON PET was designed as an individual product, the aim was to design a quality product. The device focuses on ergonomics. Its battery standby time is 160 hours, and this enables users to charge it once a week and be mobile.
11. OSMILE T1S ED1000 GPS Anti-Lost Tracker
The OSMILE T1S ED1000 is a cost-effective watch that monitors and tracks those who are dependent, such as elderly and dementia patients, as well as those with medical conditions such as autism and Alzheimer’s. The smartwatch offers features such as GPS positioning, SOS emergency button, geofencing electronic fence to track movements, and a remote camera for video calling or taking photos to monitor the patient’s status 24/7.
It has a remote microphone for recording environment sounds (such as your loved one’s voice) and to monitor their conversation with other people nearby, support multi-family caring, medicine reminders, steps count, and social medical communication. Furthermore, it offers functions to help users locate their loved one when they’re out of sight.
Another feature of this watch is a “find my watch” function which allows you to track its location using GPS coordinates in case it gets lost. The SOS emergency button, when pressed, will notify an emergency dispatcher or preselected contacts via phone call or text message. The watch will also notify the preselected contacts if the wearer falls, and automatically calls for help.
The OSMILE T1S ED1000 includes built-in GPS positioning, which allows users to track the location in case they go missing.
12. KKBEAR 3G GPS Watch
KKBEAR is a GPS watch for the elderly. It’s a WiFi smartwatch with 3G GPS and built-in HD camera. The phone book for this watch can be used to recognize your family members by voice, so you can easily track them down no matter how far they are. Features include:
- It has been developed with many advantages including anti-lost track, two-way call, step counter and WIFI and LBS mode.
- It supports ATT, Tmobile and Speedtalk cards.
- With this watch you don’t need to worry about your loved one getting lost or needing help as it always tells you where they are at all times.
- This smart watch, can be also be used as a daily digital assistant. It can remind the user of the time and weather, answer questions about battery life left and other information you might need.
- But its most valuable roles are that it can help you to find a loved one when he or she goes missing or in case of an accident.
- The device can be used to monitor the memory function of Alzheimer sufferers. It can remind them of what time they have to take their medicine or what time they have to do their daily tasks while helping them stay on track every day.
- It has an embedded HD camera which makes life more convenient for users .
- It’s also very easy to use because the camera is integrated into KKBEAR’s body making it very comfortable to use.
13. LAXCIDO 3G WiFi GPS Smart Watch
The LAXCIDO GPS tracker watch has been specifically designed with elderly users in mind – it offers a wide array of technological features that can help them live independently, stay connected and maintain some freedom. This product is perfect for seniors who can no longer drive, for those who live alone and for elderly parents whose children live out of town. It helps make their lives easier, more convenient and safer by providing them with numerous applications that they’ll find most useful. Its numerous features include:
The wrist watch design makes it much more discreet than typical trackers, allowing seniors to move about freely. Seniors gain peace of mind knowing that their families can always keep track of them or be quickly alerted if something should happen.
It also has a two-way notification system. The device comes with a call button, which can be pressed at almost any time to contact someone without being connected to the Internet. They can simply call their family, their local authorities or the company’s SOS team. The battery lasts for up to six months before needing to be replaced.
Seniors are often at risk of falling, so this watch comes with an alert system that vibrates to notify the wearer when they take a step off a curb or other surface. The device also features an alarm clock that will wake them up with a gentle vibration if they fall asleep. And because this watch is equipped with GPS tracking, it can automatically detect where they are and send the location information straight to the SOS team.
14. BEACON PET Elderly Smart Watch
BEACON PET is the perfect watch for your elderly people. It has GPS, WiFi positioning, Bluetooth, and can even be used for phone calls! Not only does BEACON PET have all these fancy features, but it also has a SOS emergency feature and geo-fence to ensure that you know exactly where your loved one is at all times.
The watch’s features include an off-the-wrist alarm that functions as a deterrent from those who would try to abduct the wearer, and a sleep monitor which can detect apnea patterns in order to better diagnose any underlying condition. Other safety features include a waterproof design, a do not disturb mode to divert calls and texts while driving.
It’s so simple to use with a HD large screen display and can be monitored from anywhere in the world with just a few clicks of your mouse or taps on your screen. The watch comes with a micro USB cable for easy charging. The best part about this watch is that you can get notified whenever your family member crosses a geo-fence. You will also receive notifications when your loved one has called out for help.
BEACON PET uses the latest in GPS, LBS positioning, and WiFi positioning to provide accurate location information at all times. The built-in SOS emergency alert can even call you if your loved one is ever in danger! You can communicate with your loved one wherever you are.
15. CJC 4G GPS Smart Watch
CJC is one of the best GPS tracker watchs for for the elderly. It is the latest and most user-friendly device of its kind, with high quality and a comfortable hand strap. It the perfect solution for keeping track of your loved ones, especially if they suffer from memory or mobility issues. Some features include:
- If a person falls, the device will send an alarm to your smartphone that will immediately view the location on a map. This also protects them from wandering off too far.
- The wearable device comes with 4G Wifi LBS (Long-Term Update) function that provides real time tracking and geo-fence through Android and IOS Application.
- It has a 4G smartphone SIM card slot that allows you to operate it without any hassle.
- This watch also displays the device’s location on a map, speed, direction, altitude, activity status, indoor / outdoor status.
- The device is designed with a touch screen, camera, anti-lost tracker which are all ready to track your loved ones wherever they are.
- It’s waterproof function makes it perfect for outdoors.
- The watch comes with real time health monitoring systems such as heart rate and blood pressure monitors and a blood oxygen SPM measurement via the sensors on the watch band.
- You can easily monitor your loved one’s health conditions at all times.
- With the device’s SOS button, they can send an alarm to you immediately when they need help. If you have the CJC app installed on your smartphone, you can always check their location.
The GPS personal tracking devices we have reviewed above each come with its own set of advantages and disadvantages. Since there is nothing perfect under the sun, we have to learn to work around some cons. Depending on your specific needs, you will be able to choose from any of the above. The good news is that all of them are very affordable and you have so many choices at your disposal if you are working on a low budget. We can never dispute the fact that GPS tracking devices have given both caregivers and asset owners some peace of mind, and their patients and valuables, some more independence and freedom. It is therefore necessary to get one if you take care of a loved one with dementia.